In July 1953, Nassau County Executive A. Holly Patterson awarded a $5 million construction contract to Merritt-Chapman and Scott Corporation of New York to build a replacement for the overburdened and outdated Long Beach Bridge. Construction of the east span of the new bridge was completed in May 1955, and the west span was finished fourteen months later. The bridge connects Long Beach to Island Park and spans Reynolds Channel.
Scope of Collection
The collection, which spans the years 1953-1956, contains over three hundred 8” x 10” black and white photographs of the construction of the new Long Beach Bridge.