Scope and Content Source:
The Archives of the Diocese of Central New York holds a nearly complete set of The Gospel Messenger, a weekly church newspaper begun in 1827 in Auburn, and the forerunner of our current e-mail newsletter, The Messenger. It provides a wealth of information about the growth of the Episcopal Church throughout the nineteenth century in upstate New York. Bound volumes are available from January 1827–April 1907, January 1910–December 1919, and January 1943–December 1945; unbound volumes are available from 1880 to 2010.
The Diocese of Central New York was established in 1868 from the Diocese of Western New York. The Diocese of Western New York was in turn established in 1838 from the Diocese of New York, which was created in 1785. The Diocese of Central New York includes 14 counties in the center of New York State: Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, Seneca, Tioga and Tompkins.
Scope of Collection
The digital collection of the Gospel Messenger of the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York includes 52 issues from Volume 1 (1827) that were published weekly and distributed in newspaper form, 12 issues from Volume 42 (1917), and 4 issues of Volume 43 (1918) that were published monthly and distributed in newsletter form.